Skip to main content

Check out our FaceBook to a computer class. It is designed for beginners. You might even qualify for a refurbished computer.

Home  About Us  Contact Us  Blog  faq   Ticket-to-Work  ABLErampage  Site Map  Newsletter  UPCOMING EVENTS   
A.  If you are a person with a disability that substantially limits on or more major life activity,you have undoubtly faced social or physical barriers that have inhibited your ability to enjoy the same priviliges as your non-disabled peers.  The fact that the law exists means that there have been many accomodations put in place that might not have otherwise been there. 

Q: What is a Disability is defined by the ADA?  
A. As defined in the 2009 law, it is "...a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits a major life activity such as seeing, hearing, eating, sleeping, walking, standing, lifting, bending, speaking, breathing, learning, reading, concentrating, thinking, comunicating, and working,  as well as the operation of several specified major bodily functions.
Q: Have there been any admendments or improvements to the law since 1990? On September 25, 2008, President George W. Bush  signed the ADA Admendments Act  (ADAAA) into law. This was intended to give broader protections for disabled workers and "turn back the clock" on court rulings that Congress deemed too restrictive.  The ADAAA includes a list of "major life activities" as listed in the first question.

Q: Do I have to have a letter from my doctor to say I have a disability to be an ABLE Consumer? 
A.  If you are a person that has been affected by a disability, as defined above, come and talk to us.  You can verify a disability without having to ask your doctor for a letter.
Q: How do I become an ABLE Consumer? 
A.  Call and set up an appointment for an intake.  Fill out the paper work, and you are ready to receive services.

Q: Where do I find services in the Permian Basin if I have a disabiliy? 
A: Call the ABLE Center for information and referral.  We do extensive networking with other social work agencies so that we are aware of where the services are, and who has funding for particular projects.

Q: What type of services does ABLE Center provide?
A: We have an employment program. We are a Ticket to Work Employment Network, which means if you draw SSI or SSDI, we can accept your ticket.. We brought the Texas Ramp Project to the Permian Basin. We now have added a transportation program that will be up and running soon. We teach independent living classes, which is everything from computer classes to building a resume. We will help you live independently, and continue to remain in your home and live as independently as you would like to be. 
Q: But what if I need minor home repairs, or a ramp, or my doors widened?
A.  Like most Non-profits, funding can be an issue.  However, we will be glad to assist you as you find help if we do not have funding.  The important thing is that you have an accessible home, and stay in your home as long as possible.

 Q.   Do you use volunteers?  
A.   Do we ever!  We are in desperate need of volunteers for our ramp builds, and our up and coming transportation project.  We need volunteers to teach money managment (budgeting), computers, digital photography, parenting and wellness classes.  If you have expertise in an area, and can give us evidence of those skills, and if you have never been convicted of a crime, we would like to use you to teach independent living skills classes.

 Q.  Can I come to ABLE Center to do Community Service hours? 
 A.  Yes, if it was a non-violent crime, and if we have something you can do. If we cannot use you as a volunteer, we have recommendations for you.

 Q.  Do you have durable medical equipment, such as walkers, wheelchairs, and shower chairs or handheld showers?

 A. We can help you obtains those items if you need them and cannot afford them.